05 February 2008

GRRRRRRRR

“But what a sad and melancholy decision this is for me and many other conservatives. Should Sen. McCain capture the nomination as many assume, I believe this general election will offer the worst choices for president in my lifetime. I certainly can’t vote for Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama based on their virulently anti-family policy positions. If these are the nominees in November, I simply will not cast a ballot for president for the first time in my life. These decisions are my personal views and do not represent the organization with which I am affiliated. They do reflect my deeply held convictions about the institution of the family, about moral and spiritual beliefs, and about the welfare of our country.”

Dr. James Dobson, founder, Focus on the Family



Dear Doctor Dobson,

I respect your opinion and your right to it, Doctor. I appreciate the way your ministry works to strengthen the families worldwide, and I can see your genuine passion for your ministry, your beliefs, and your concern for this country and the world.

But I am amazed that a man of your influence in this nation, and in this nation's government, is throwing a hissy-fit because your political party is about to choose the "wrong" candidate.

It seems to me that you are all at once disgusted with the status quo, with business as usual in Washington DC, but too comfortable with it to really attempt to create lasting change. Governor Mike Huckabee seems to nearly mirror your stances on many issues, but he does not get even a mention.

Could this be because he is not a leading candidate? Could it be that you do not want to abandon your party for a long shot? Wouldn't want to hitch your wagon to a horse that doesn't move, would you?

I am honestly surprised it took you this long, Doctor, to bemoan the fact that there are no worthy candidates running for office. The rest of us out here in "fly-over country" have been complaining about that since Reagan. Especially the last three election cycles.

There is no-one on any ticket that I really would want to vote for. Apparently, Doctor, you are feeling the same pain as many of us. You are experiencing the same disillusionment as us. Your quote could come from the lips of many of my friends and family.

Doctor, you are one of the most influential people in America. I recommend that you use your influence to effect real change. That means endorsing a candidate truly in line with your values, not boycotting the election. Let party affiliations fall by the wayside if you truly care about these values.

wingnut

No comments: